Emsworth's History - The History of Emsworth's Public Houses

Emsworth in 1914

For a large number of people the public house was the chief centre of social life and Emsworth was well-supplied with these. By a rough count I can identify eleven in Emsworth and two in Hermitage, and in the evenings these were bursting at the seams with rollicking thinkers. But with an ethos which to great extent reflected Victorian social values, self respecting ladles and gentlemen would not be seen in them. Overtly at least people's lives were very much more religious than they are today and their t thinking was conditioned by the opposing imports of heaven and hell respectively. The parish church of St James, Congregational chapel in Nile Street, the Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the Square and the Baptist chapel in North Street, would be filled both morning and evening on the Sabbath as the Sunday was piously called. Most of the "respectable" children were sent off twice each Sunday to Sunday School, and with two church services for adults.
“Emsworth in the First World War” David Rudkin 1993
In 1990 Emsworth still had twelve pubs but today only seven pubs remain in the town.

This is a list of all the known hostelries in Emsworth. They range from a coaching inn which has served the town for over 300 years to humble Victorian beer houses with a life of only a few years. Many of the smaller establishments did not provide the sole income of their proprietors: the husband often had another trade and the wife ran the beer house. In the eighteen-seventies there were about 25 premises in the town dedicated to the sale of drink; of these 9 were in the small area covering South Street, the Square and High Street. Today only seven public houses remain.

The keys in the list are: Number; refers to location on the map ; date; earliest date in documentary sources.

Highlighted Pubs still in existance

*Highlighted Closed pubs but where the building still exists.

1 THECROWN (1665) High St. Was THREE CROWNS originally. Name changed to CROWN in 1788. Used .or subscription balls, concerts and auctions. A principal inn for accommodation of travellers and mentioned in a book of coaching inns, 1790. Central timber-framed core still visible. Until recently had large crown over entrance portico. Now The Crown Hotel with a function room and accommodation


2 THE SHIP (1718) High St. Rebuilt in 1800; in 1865 and again in 20th century. In 1996 the small shop next door was incorporated in the pub which was also totatlly refurbished at the same time.

 (1711) Locates in the Square. Rebuilt 1929/30. Emsworth Friendly Society established here in 1763. Once known as THE DOG and recently THE SMUGGLERS. In 1821 had a brew house, malthouse, yard for coal trade and .new house for proprietor. Renamed the Round table in 2001 and converted to a wine bar, Allwoods Wine Bar, in 2005. Sold in 2006 and is now an Indian Restaurant, Spice Village.
4* SWAN (1833) Square. Also WHITE SWAN. Beer house. Painted sign of a swan. Stabling for 7 horses. Publican in 1891 was also a farmer.
5* SAFFRON BREWERY (1838) South St. Beer house. Boyles family 1838-1871. In 1891 Miller, the publican was also a pilot. Located at No.6 South Street now Hazel & Co, Estate Agents.
6 SLOOP (1795) South St. The landlord 1851-81 was also a Trinity House Pilot and oyster merchant. In 1891 the license was opposed by the police on grounds it was in excess of the wants of the population, .but objection was withdrawn. Nevertheless the SLOOP disappears from directories soon after this date.

7* ANCHOR (1820) South St. In 1878 was also the Customs House. Once a favourite haunt of fishermen and a ‘no-go’ area for the other Emsworth itizens. Thing have changed in the last hundred years and the old pub is now 36 On the Quay Restaurant with Rooms offering a warm welcome to those seeking a Michelin Star rated meal overlooking the town quay and harbour.The Anchor Inn c1900

8 BREWERY TAP (1869) subsequently BLUE BELL South St. It was owned by the Brewery (Hipkin) at inar. In 1891 landlord was also a plumber and decorator. This was demolished and the present BLUE BELL (1960) was built a few yards up the street.

9 COAL EXCHANGE (1861) South St. Originally a private house it was purchased by G. A. Gale in 1859 for £475 and became a pub in 1861.    Its name derives from coal trade with the north-east coast.

10* ROYAL SOVEREIGN (1865) Queen St. Beer house. Not recorded after 1871.Situated near corner with High Street.

11* DOLPHIN (1820) Queen St. Now flats. In 1851 landlord William Fielder was also a ship owner. Subsequent landlord was a blacksmith with shop at rear. The inn ceased as such after 100 years.
12 LORD RAGLAN (1830) Queen St. A 19th century beer house on the site of a slaughterhouse. Originally the GOOD INTENT and renamed after the Crimean war hero in the eighteen-sixties.
13 ROYAL OAK (1830) Hermitage. Named after the escape of Charles II and still then a favourite name nearly 200 years after the event. Renamed The Mill Pond in 1998 converted to B&B in 2005.

14 LADS OF THE VILLAGE (1838) Hermitage. Demolished 1891. This lay to the front and east of the Royal Oak. It is shown on the 1840 Tithe Map.
15 SUSSEX BREWERY (1749) Hermitage. The Miller family were landlords from 1749 to 1978Painting by Diana Mead
16* GREAT EASTERN (1840) Hermitage. Public house until 1917 when it became a Mission Chapel. Named after Brunel's ship. Described as a freehold public house: 11 rooms. A lodging house.
17 BAKERS' ARMS (1840) Hermitage. Not recorded after 1861.
18* TOWN BREWERY (1847) West St. Landlord in 1871 also a blacksmith. (Closed in 2013) Now converted to offices & residential.
19 SAWYERS' ARMS (1851) Havant Rd. Ceased by 1860. Landlord had been at King's Arms.
20 KING'S ARMS (1820) Havant Rd. In 50 years from 1840 had only 4 landlords.
21 LITTLE GREEN (1847) North St. First landlord,Chitty, was also a carrier. Was at the south end of a row of shops (now under and next to Tesco Express). Ceased to be a beer house in 1956. Demolished 1960.
22 Unnamed beer shop (1841) By Church gate.

23 MILKMAN'S ARMS (1871) North St. Originally a beer house. Landlord in 1871 was also a farmer (George Slade) with land behind. Demolished in 2003, the site is now occupied by flats.

24 RAILWAY TAVERN (1851) North St. The original Railway Tavern/Inn was on the west side of North St. opposite the gas works entrance. In 1874 was last building on west. Had black wood stables. The railway arrived in Emsworth in 1847.

25 RAILWAY HOTEL subsequently was established on the corner of Sultan Road by 1891 and is renamed SCALLYWAGS in 1997 reverting to The Railway Inn in 2004.Until the 1960s a Brickwoods pub. Closed in 2020.
26 The LOCOMOTIVE (1851) North St. First landlord, John Chalcraft, was also a pork butcher. In 1890 advertised 'wines, spirits and well-aired beds'. Demolished in the 1950s and replaced by The SEAGULL, set back on the same site which was demolished in 1999 and replaced with a residential developmen

The Locomotive c1952

ite of The Locomotive 2007
*27 FAIRFIELD (1960) New Brighton Rd. Converted to a  private house now used as a pre-school nursery
28 Unnamed beer house New Brighton Rd. (1878) Charles Bishop was a tailor and beer shop keeper.
29 GOLDEN LION (1718)? High St. Fire Insurance records

30 WHITE HART (1718)? South St. Fire Insurance Records

R & S Morgan Emsworth Maritime and Historical Trust. (The Pubs of Emsworth No. 1 of a series of occasional papers available from Emsworth Museum)
“Emsworth in the First World War” David Rudkin 1993
Havant Museum - The Spring, Havant.