Emsworth's History - An Emsworth Time Line
500 AD – Weobold reputed to have sailed into ChichesterHarbour and established a settlement at Warblington
935AD – Charter of Havant granted by King Athelstan establishes western boundary of Parish
980AD – Charter of Havant reestablishes the boundaries. This charter under King Ethelred.
980AD – Manor of Warblington held by the Godwin family as part of their holdings of Bosham, Westbourne and Charlton.
1066 – Manor of Warblington given to Roger Montgomery, Earl of Shrewsbury as part of the Manor of Westbourne.
1086 – Doomsday Book lists Warblington as being part of the Manor of Westbourne with 2 churches and a mill. The whole Manor had 29 families and 2 slaves i.e. about 120 people. There were also 7 plough teams, meaning about 850 acres of land under cultivation
1216 – King John reputed to have divided the Manor of Warblington into two. William Aguillon paid rent of “a pair of gilt spurs yearly” for the land at Emelsworth. First official mention of Emsworth as a separate entity
1231 – In a charter dated 30th June, Henry III confirmed his father’s grant to William Aguillon
1239 Grant of a weekly market on Wednesdays and an annual fair on 7th July at Emsworth. Grant given to Herbert Fitzherbert.
1341 – Emsworth is one of only 5 towns in Hampshire considered big enough to provide a ship to carry the Keeper of the Channel Islandsand his force to defend the islands
1343 – Rent of Emsworth sold to Nicholas Devenish, a former Mayor of Winchester and successful wool merchant
1346 – Richard Marshall appointed “Gauger of Wines” or customs official for Chichester and Southampton. Emsworth is listed as one of the landing sites for Chichester
1348 – A special commission set up to investigate the smuggling industry in Emsworth
1251 – Mention in the Patent Rolls of a hospital dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene devoted to the care of lepers and maintenance of the ford over the River Ems in the Hermitage area of Emsworth
1527 – Will of Simon Coates left an endowment of land, a house and a chapel maintain the hermitage and leper hospital in Hermitage and to maintain the bridge.
1570 – First mention of the Lord’s Mill in Queen Street
1574 – Emsworth could only muster 45 able bodied men for the Militia Roll, showing a town in decline.
1640 – First mention of “Slipper” meaning a plot of land
1664 – The Hearth Tax shows 52 houses in Emsworth, but 21 were too poor to pay the tax. About 230 people live in Emsworth
1665 – first mention of The Crown in High Street, as The Three Crowns
1670 – Customs system reorganized and Port of Chichester’s boundary is moved from west of Emsworth to the east. This becomes the county boundary.
1670 – First mention of The Ship public house on The Square
1700 – John Smith is the first shipbuilder recorded in Emsworth with a yard on the Westbrook Stream
1702 – Benjamin Holloway sailed from ChichesterHarbour in the Katherine & Mary carry sugar, cheese, vinegar, gingerbread, marble and tar. He sailed frequently to Oporto in Portugal.
1706 – Thomas Hendy married Ann Manser, thus linking two main Emsworth families
1711 – First mention of The Black Dog public house on The Square
1714 – Thomas Hendy is master of a vessel trading in grain from Emsworth to Chichester
1731 – John Holloway married Mary Brett and part of the marriage settlement was Trentham House
1750 – The Sussex Brewery built for the Miller family
1755 – Emsworth lists 15 men as Master Mariners with several mariners and many fishermen
1760 – Slipper Mill built by Thomas Hendy at mouth of River Ems
1760 – Wadeway to ThorneyIsland diverted by Thomas Hendy to run from bottom of Sweare Lane (King Street)
1760 – 24,000 oysters dredged on one tide and sold in Portsmouth.
1761 – John King married his cousin and moved to Emsworth
1762 – Turnpiking of the Portsmouth to Chichester Road and StakesBridge built
1763 – Emsworth Friendly Society founded
1770 – John King settled in Sweare Lane (King Street) and set up ship building partnership with Mr. Norris
1775 – Joseph Holloway was presented with a silver salver by the owners of the Charming Mary has he saved her from wrecking.
1790 Proprietary Chapel of St Peter built in the Square, Emsworth
1792 – John King II was licensee of The Crown, which was a coaching inn and he rebuilt the frontage to include a large porch with a crown on top.
1792 – Rope walk at Hermitage is owned by Richard and Stephen Miller
1795 – The Hut was built by John King. Known as the House that was built in a day. It was prefabricated in his ship yard and took 16 hours to assemble
1800 John King I died – There were 3 John Kings
1802 Cricket match played between Hambledon and Emsworth at Coldharbour, Emsworth, on site of present Recreation ground
1803 Loyal Havant Infantry and Loyal Emsworth Infantry Companies formed. United in 1804 under the title The Havant and Emsworth Loyal Volunteers
1805 – Caroline, Princess of Wales came to Emsworth for sea-bathing.
1807 – Jack Pitt was tried as a highwayman, who worked along the Havant Road near Nore Farm. He was hanged on Southsea Common
1808 Independent Chapel opened in Nile Street, Emsworth
1810 – Robert Harfield built a purpose built bathing house at the end of the road, now known as Bath Road
1810 – The first elementary school is opened in Emsworth
1811 – There were 284 houses in Emsworth housing 1358 people
1811 – Land which is now Recreation Ground in Horndean Road, was sold to William Bean Young, with special conditions attached so that could be used for public recreation and the playing of cricket
1814 Coldharbour Green and Emsworth Common, in Warblington parish, enclosed
1817 – A survey by Walter Butler found 30 fishing boats sailing out of Emsworth
1820 – Emsworth Corn and Cattle Market is started and trades on The Square
1821 – 4 stage coaches a day pass through Emsworth from Chichester to Cosham.
1821 – Adolphus Miller owns the rope walk at Hermitage
1821 – James Tatchell owned the rope works and sail making yard in Sweare Lane
1823 – John King III takes over eastern part of ship yard as a timber yard, while his brother William retained the remainder as a ship yard
1823 – Portsmouth to ArundelCanal opens, runs through the harbour to the south of Emsworth and opens up inland waterways to London
1830 – John Harris is the last man in Emsworth to be sentenced to sit in the stocks. He was a shoemaker who had got too drunk to work.
1830 ‘Captain Swing’ rioters pass through Havant. Threshing machine destroyed in Emsworth
1834 – Emsworth Tithe Map is drawn up with the Tithe Report in 1838
1834 – The Poor House in North Street is closed and the Poor Law Union is amalgamated with the Havant Union Work House.
1839 Foundation stone laid for parish church of St James, Emsworth
1842 – Queen Victoria and Prince Albert rode through Emsworth on way from Arundel to Portsmouth. She is greeted at CountyBorder by Duke of Wellington as Lord Lieutenant of Hampshire.
1843 – England and France sign a convention prohibiting the dredging of oysters between 1st May and 30th September. Fishermen of Emsworth are unable to dredge during summer months.
1847 – London, Brighton and South Coast Railway constructed and passes through Emsworth
1848 Baptist Chapel opened in North Street, Emsworth
1854 Gasworks established in Havant and Emsworth
1855 – William Foster bought John King boat yard from David Palmer Walker
1858 – James Duncan Foster born
1858 – Henry Cribb took over sea-bathing business based in building at the end of Bath Road – Bathing House.
1860 Havant & Emsworth Volunteer Rifle Corps formed
1860 – James Terry owned Lumley Mill.
1861 – William Foster built his first vessel the Jane E. Foster
1863 NationalSchool opened in Emsworth
1867 – New Slipper Mill built to south of main Slipper Mill where entrance to Emsworth Marina is now situated
1867 – Elizabeth Holloway died in Saxted House. She was the last of the Holloway family. There are over 250 members of the family connected with Emsworth
1870 – William Foster employed George Apps of Bosham to build his ships. The yard became known as Apps Yard
1872 - Portsmouth Water Company empowered to supply water to Emsworth by The Board of Trade
1873 – First iron conduit water pipes laid from Havant to Emsworth
1875 – James Duncan (J.D.) started his oyster and scallop business
1881 – Albert Tatchell ( son of James) employed 10 men and 2 boys in the rope and sail works
1884 – Last male member of the King family dies
1886 – New Slipper Mill burnt down and its pond used for seasoning timber from Foster’s Yard
1887 – Hospital opened in King Street, but is moved in when new hospital is opened in 1898
1888 – Emsworth Boating Club holds the first recorded regatta in EmsworthHarbour
1889 – J.D. Foster built his first oyster smack - Thistle
1894 – Queen Street mill burnt down and rebuilt
1894 – First medical report raising concerns about sewage polluting EmsworthHarbour
1895 – The first sailing club is founded in Emsworth, but it has closed by 1902
1898 – The Ark for sorting and storing oysters was in position in the Emsworth Channel. It cost £2,000
1898 -Emsworth Victoria Cottage Hospital open in North Street to mark Queen Victoria’s Dimond Jubilee.
1898 Gloyne’s Brewery and six public houses sold to Emsworth brewers Kinnell & Hartley
1899 X-Ray apparatus installed in the Victoria Cottage Hospital, Emsworth
1900 – June – The Early Closing Movement suggested that trading in the shops of Emsworth will cease at 7.00pm each day
1900 – Warblington Urban District Council and the fire brigade moved into the new Council Offices in North Street
1901 – J.D. Foster launched his first all steam powered oyster smack – Echo. She was considered the most advanced fishing vessel to sail from a British port at that time.
1901 – New steam fire engine provided for Emsworth Fire Brigade. Named Edward VII
1901 – Albert Apps built a barge called Langstone for the Little family of Havant, who ran Langstone Quay.
1902 – In December oysters served at 4 banquets in area are found to be cause of typhoid outbreak in which Dean of Winchester died. 43 other guests became ill.
1903 – In JanuaryEmsworthHarbour is declared polluted with sewage and the sale of oysters from Emsworth is banned.
1903 – Stakes bridge rebuilt
1903 – Foundation stone is laid for new permanent Post Office in North Street
1903 – The Salvationists held their new branch meeting on Thursday in the Town Hall.
1904 – In October the case of JD Foster –v- Warblington Urban District Council comes to court and finds in favour of Foster. He wanted a principle established that made Local Authorities responsible for pollution of harbours and inshore waters.
1904 - P.G. Wodehouse came to live in Emsworth, initially in EmsworthHouseSchool and then at Threepwood in Record Road
1906 – Warblington Urban District Council appeals against findings of legal proceedings, but lose the appeal, although damages awarded to Foster are reduced.
1906 – James Terry died and left Lumley Mill to his nephew Alfred
1909 Emsworth Recreation Ground opened
1909 – 4th October – EmsworthCouncilSchool opened in Washington Road with 102 infants and 222 older children Mr. Armstrong was head master
1912 – Major storm damaged Slipper Mill and it had to be rebuilt
1912 Pavilion Cinema, Emsworth opened
1914 – First sewer excavated across Slipper Pond
1914 – P.G. Wodehouse left Emsworth to holiday in U.S.A. He arrived the day 1st World War broke out and did not return to Emsworth
1914 – October – Football Club obtains permission to erect goalposts in the Recreation Ground
1914 – Northlands (a private house at this time) was converted to a Red Cross Hospital providing refuge for Belgian refugees and treatment for wounded soldiers.
1914 – 13th November – Bertie Goodall presented with The Royal Humane Society’s Certificate in attempting to save the life of a drowning boy.
1915 – All street lights to be shaded and only showing light downwards
1915 Alfred Terry sold Lumley Mill. Rumour suggests he sold in order to join the army
1916 – A Zeppelin airship (L31) involved in a raid on Portsmouth flew over Emsworth to the great excitement of the population
1916 – The sewage treatment works in Thornham Lane, built in conjunction with Westbourne Rural District Council are finally opened.
1916 – The ban on selling oysters from Emsworth is finally lifted with the opening of the new sewage treatment works.
1917 – Isobel Silver made national news when she drove the horse team that pulled the first engine to the Blendworth House fire.
1919 – Water Carnival is revived as part of Emsworth Peace Celebrations at the end of 1st World War
1919 – Jack Cribb sold the Bathing House in Bath Road to Miss Duffield, who then sold it to Major Whitaker of Stansted to found Emsworth Sailing Club
1920 Wolf Cub Pack started at Emsworth
1921 – Emsworth Slipper Sailing Club founded
1923 Havant and Emsworth supplied with mains electricity
1924 – Chichester and EmsworthHarbours for a regulatory body to coordinate leisure sailing activities in the harbours
1926 – The Anchor pub at bottom of South Street, which was used as a customs house, closes
1927 – Mr. Noel Kinnell left a donation in his Will for the improvement of the mill pond wall, leveling the top and constructing a proper walkway.
1927 – Dr. Lockhart Stephens retired from practice in Emsworth. He had served in 1st World War with Red Cross and was respected by war veterans
1927 – Royal British Legion club building was constructed in North Street, behind the BaptistChurch
1927 – The oyster smack Sylvia was lost with all hands off St. Catherine’s Point, south of the Isle of Wight. John Parham was captain with 5 crew.
1928 – Windflower, a luxury yawl, was launched in Emsworth from Mr. Kemp’s yard for Dr. H. French. It is the first yacht of any size to be launched for 26 years.
1932 – Southern Railways publish a leaflet “Yachting on the South Coast” extolling the waters of Chichester Harbour and mentions the Emsworth waterfront amenities and sailing clubs, to encourage Londoners to use the train to come sailing.
1935 – J.D. Foster’s saw mill and sail loft were burnt down. Losses included scale models of all the oyster smacks and the plans.
1935 – Slipper Mill purchased by Leigh Thomas & Co Ltd and limited to self-raising flour.
1937 – Basil Williams registered Hants & Sussex Motor Services Ltd with a share capital of £1,000
1938 – J.D. Foster celebrates is 80th birthday by cycling 100 miles to the New Forest and back
1938 – Chequers Garage opened by Ben Jones
1939 – Hants & Sussex Motor Services obtained a license to run a bus service between Emsworth Station and R.A.F.ThorneyIsland
1939 EmsworthHouseSchool requisitioned by the Admiralty for the duration of the War. School did not reopen on this site.
1940 – J.D. Foster died
1941 Two magnetic bombs were dropped by German aircraft in Emsworth Channel. 100 houses were destroyed and many shop fronts were blown in
1943 Bombs dropped on Emsworth. One fell in Bath Road and destroyed houses, but did not explode. Residents were evacuated toWashingtonRoadSchool until they could be rehoused
1943 – May – Wings for Victory event in Emsworth raised money to help fund 8 spitfires from the Havant area
1944 – 5th Battalion, The King’s Regiment embarked from Emsworth to take part in the D-Day landings
1946 – 8th June – Emsworth Victory Celebrations held to mark the end of 2nd World War
1946 – Recreational sailing resumes in EmsworthHarbour and the Federation of Sailing Clubs is reformed
1950 – The covered seating and bus shelter on The Square is built and dedicated to the fallen of the 2nd World War
1950 – Lillywhite Bros garage opened at bottom of Queen Street and still trading
1953 – Water Carnival is part of Coronation Celebrations with over 30 decorated boats on the Mill Pond and 90 children taking part in the fancy dress competitions
1955 – WarblingtonSecondary School opened and Emsworth Schools would only teach 5 to 11 years
1958 Emsworth House relinquished by the Admiralty and Hampshire County Council rebuilt it as residential home for the elderly
1960 – Horrocks Hardware shop and Beta Marine were burnt down in a major fire in the High Street
1962 – Royal British Legion Hall in North Street burnt down.
1963 – Emsworth Marina construction begins
1966 – Slipper Mill Pond Preservation Association formed to look after the pond, when milling ceased
1966 – Bicentenial meeting of Emsworth Friendly Society held in October
1970 Emsworth designated a Conservation Area by Havant Borough Council
1970 – The Town Mill in Queen Street is closed for flour milling and becomes offices and workshops
1971 – Chichester Harbour Conservancy takes over control of Emsworth and ChichesterHarbours
1972 – Dittman & Malpas sell the Quay Mill at bottom of South Street to the Emsworth Slipper Sailing Club who refit it as their permanent club house
1974 Emsworth inner relief road opened bypassing the Square
1975 – St. James’ C of E School moved from Church Path to new building in Bellevue Lane
1978 – The Ark and remains of oyster smacks removed from EmsworthHarbour.
1979 – Last Miller member of the family dies and Sussex Brewery sold. Known as the filthiest pub in the area and they took 75 tons of rubbish away to empty it.
1988 - A27 by-pass constructed and opened to give relief from large vehicles passing through Emsworth
1988 EmsworthMuseum opened
1995 – Jetty is built out from the promenade to give easier access for boats at high tide
2006 A skatepark opened at Emsworth
2008 – 24th August – Emsworth had Olympic Flag handover day with young athletes running around the town centre displaying the flag, and youth groups enjoyed tea and cakes in BaptistChurch gardens
2009 - The Memorial Garden, the brainchild of Harold Groom, has now been given official recognition as a war memorial. The names of the fallen which have been commemorated on plaques fitted to concrete bases and designed to complement ‘Absence’, were in place in time for the Dedication Ceremony.
2010 – a devastating winter flood hit Bridge Road and Selangor Avenue properties and returned again the following year.
2011 – Plans for a disabled-access ramp on the northern platform (Platform 2) at Emsworth Railway Station are initiated and opens in 2012.
2011 – The Emsworth Brewery was set up by Hilary and Michael Bolt in West Street.
Emsworth has a very successful Food Festival. The Brookfield hosts a PG Wodehouse weekend.
2011 – a collage depicting Emsworth through the ages which was made by three Emsworth pupils of Warblington School was unveiled in the Community Centre.
2012 – Emsworth Museum Administrator Linda Newell publishes her book ‘Uncovering the Past … Emsworth, Oysters and Men. The Museum also hosts three mature work experience students from Chichester University.
2012 – Confirmation was received that the Palmers Road/North Street gas holder is due for demolition in late 2015..
2012 – Nile Street chapel, where Olivia Holloway preached, and latterly a plastics company will be demolished and two properties built.
2013 – 25th Anniversary of the opening of the Museum celebrated.
2013 – Due to the generosity of Pam Clayton, former Editor of the ‘Emsworth Echo’, her will has enabled to Museum to erect a new oak-framed notice board outside the Museum. The museum acquires a laundry basket from Emsworth Steam Laundry, which was on New Brighton Road.
2014 – More flooding – this time in Lumley Terrace and Road, Queen Street, Brook Meadow and Gardens and again in Selangor Avenue.
2014 –The Emsworth & Havant Homing Society pigeon club, whose premises were in the grounds of Emsworth’s Community Centre behind the Museum, were given notice to close, one of their trophies being given to the Museum.
2014 – ‘Carriages’, the railway station cafe opens on Platform 1. Hutchins, in The Square, one of Emsworth’s oldest shops, owned by Marlene Barton closes. The premises later become ‘Cheese & Chutney’ and Mungo Brooks’ Emporium.
2014 – Building work starts on the new Baptist Church meeting hall, completed and opened in 2015..
2014 - Emsworth Sailing Club, founded in 1919, is hit by a car. Havant BC propose to move the Library to the Community Centre.
2014 – 25 September, the premiere of the film ‘ Emsworth’s Oysters’, was held at the Brookfield and the Oyster Gallery in the main room of Emsworth Museum opened.
2015 – Sadly we lose two important people in the life of Emsworrth Museum – our President Dr Margaret Rule and our Administrator Linda Newell. Plans are shelved pro tem for the library to move.
2015 – 40th Anniversary of the formation of EM&HT.
2015 – Appointment of Philip Magrath as new Museum Curator.
2016 – The Gas holder is dismantled. Redlands Grange development at the top of New Brighton Road (between Emsworth and Westbourne) is completed. Two building developments at the top of Hollybank Lane and another on Long Copse Lane begin. Building work on the new Meeting Hall extension to Emsworth Baptist Church is completed. The Lobster Pot Christmas Tree on the Quay gains international publicity with plans to continue every Christmas. Costa Coffee opens.
2017 - The Town Brewery (est. 1847) closes. Work commences on building 161 new properties at the corner of Southleigh Road and Horndean Road. Residents are invited to contribute views to the Public consultation taking place on any development to North Street (ie Victoria Cottage Hospital), the Town Hall (including the Museum and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service) and the Post Office.
Emsworth Museum 2017
|More Emsworth's History Pages|