Emsworth's History - Lumley Mill
The most northerly of the Emsworth mills was the water mill at Lumley (SU 752 064), part way between the town and the village of Westbourne.
It was built by Lord Lumley in 1760 and was part of his Stansted estate, lying on the Sussex bank and powered by a leat or canal specially dug for this purpose from the river Ems which goes past Westbourne Church and was powered by an iron overshot waterwheel.14 Civil engineer John Smeaton (1724-1792) had already proved in the eighteenth century, as a result of some six years' research, that overshot water mill wheels were more than twice as efficient as undershot ones, nevertheless the majority of those used in Emsworth were undershot with the exception of that at Lumley.
Eighteen years later Lumley Mill passed into the ownership of Richard Barwell (1741-1804),15 who had purchased the Stansted estate. Edward Tollervey, an astute and prosperous baker and miller-cum-businessman from Portsmouth, known to have been a war profiteer and a man of considerable substance at that time, was the next owner of the Mill in January 1802, over-indulging his schemes of development. He built a large pseudo-Gothic house, outbuildings and stores, in which he installed ovens to bake bread and biscuits and also erected pigsties because he had secured contracts with the Admiralty and others to supply them with salt pork, bread, biscuits and flour. The corn was ground, turned into biscuits for the fleet and shipped off to Portsmouth dockyard and up to 14,000 troops in some of the nearby military facilities, as well as the growing number of townspeople in Portsmouth. The grist or middlings and spoiled biscuits were then fed to the pigs which were also processed and sent to the dockyard, thus reducing pig foodstuff costs and further increasing his profits. Additionally products such as malted barley were sold from the maltings at Lumley at that time. Horse-drawn waggons, stored in the nearby Mill Cottage, journeyed from there to Portsmouth weekly. Normally occupational linkages such as Tollervey's both encouraged the efficient use of labour resources and promised a degree of market stability but by over-extending himself too rapidly and placing overdue reliance on war contracts he ultimately became bankrupt.
The Mill burnt down in May 1915 and only the millers’ house and the ramp to the bakehouse survive. The Mill was fed by mill race leading off River Ems in Westbourne.
The present owner of Lumley Mill had the site of the bakehouse, which lies opposite the former mill workers' cottages, cleared in 2017 and issued the following statement;
"The purpose of this is to remove self-seeded sycamore trees which were slowly destroying the foundations of the old mill and a number of trees which were unstable that we have been instructed to remove. Our intentions are to replant native species of trees to replace the ones being removed. We aim to preserve the beauty of this environment and also to ensure that the history of the old milt is not lost forever.
Now that the area is opened up we can appreciate the old chestnut trees, a huge plane tree and ancient yew trees. Please rest assured we love this area and the nature that lives here and it will look beautiful again.
(For purposes of insurance, unfortunately, the fence wil have to be reinstated)."
Emsworth Corn Mills Borough of Havant History Booklet No. 98 Margaret Rogers May 2018