Lumley Mill Site Cleared

Over the past month the  site of Lumley Mill has been cleared of vegetation, the owner has issued the following statement;

"The purpose of this is to remove self-seeded sycamore trees which were slowly destroying the foundations of the old mill and a number of trees which were unstable that we have been instructed to remove. Our intentions are to replant native species of trees to replace the ones being removed. We aim to preserve the beauty of this environment and also to ensure that the history of the old milt is not lost forever.

Now that the area is opened up we can appreciate the old chestnut trees, a huge plane tree and ancient yew trees. Please rest assured we love this area and the nature that lives here and it will look beautiful again.

(For purposes of insurance, unfortunately,  the fence wil have to beo reinstated).

 Belonging to the Lord of the Manor of Westbourne and was an important mill in the area .  Records date from 17th century, but it burnt down in May 1915 and only the millers’ house survives. The Mill was ded by mill race leading off River Ems in Westbourne.

This is the site where Lumley Mill originally stood, built in the 18th century it was a working mill that provided biscuits and pork to Portsmouth Dockyard.  The remaining structure was demolished in 1929 leaving behind the foundations which are still exposed and will be protected by the work currently being carried out.


 

Lumley Mill c1900

Lumley Mill c1900 

Lumley Mill c1900 


The remaining building, Lumley Mill, formally The Manor Hose,  is listed (   and described as;
cornice. Round-headed win- dows with ornamental glazing. Small pediment over the two central window bays. The northernmost window bay is of three storeys with a gable over. Porch with fluted Doric columns containing a round-headed door of eight moulded panels. Two other doorways in moulded architraves surrounds with projecting cornices over and doors of six fielded panels."







Lumley Millpond